Suggestions

Coordinator
Nov 16, 2007 at 8:11 PM
What features would you most like to see added to the import tool? Let's come up with some great ideas and get the ball rolling.
Coordinator
Nov 17, 2007 at 9:25 PM
Would anyone be interested in offline editing capabilities? I'm thinking about a file format for Products, Categories, etc. so that a user could create a set of new items while disconnected from the web and with a single click publish the updates to their BV Commerce store? Thoughts?

Nov 19, 2007 at 8:25 PM
Hey Marcus, I'm REALLY pleased you've released the source for the tool, this is what I needed ages ago in order to have it changed to support product choices and modifiers. It follows that I guess the obvious suggestion I would make is to add support for product modifiers and choices to the tool. All the clients I deal with with and have moved over to BV require a straight forward import tool that enables them to prepare product data files they get reguarly from suppliers (normally in Excel format) for importing into their stores. With BVC2004.7 I had a CSV to XML converter that then used the built in XML importer to import the products. Through this method I had the ability to import products with any combination of variations. I currently have clients waiting for this functionality who will switch to BVC5 once it's ready.

The idea of an offline editor is good and I could suggest some other additions too but it's too important to me to get support for modifiers to tackle other improvements.
Coordinator
Nov 20, 2007 at 12:17 AM
Matt,

Thanks for the reply. How would you suggest setting up a CSV format that could handle nested data like modifiers and choices?

I'm thinking that we should create one stanard XML format that the tool uses to talk to web store and then build plugins to translate to/from other formats (like csv) to XML. That way only one format is needed to communicate with the server.
Nov 24, 2007 at 8:54 AM
Hi Marcus,

I agree entirely. XML with its nested nature is perfect for communicating with the web store and building up product choices and the like (as it did very ably in BVC2004). Like you say, this would then create the oppertunity for people to create simple apps for pasing different formats into the standardised XML. I would have no problem writing or having written a plug-in to convert a flat delimited product file into XML and this would mean that only the first bit of the conversion would need to be done specific to each clients data format needs.

Handling variants in a flat file required some though when I did it for BVC5 but was largly dictated by the file format that my client's received the data from their suppliers in. Whenever the converter encounterd a row with the same SKU as the previous row it assumed that the new row was a variant of the previous row and set up the XML to do that. In most cases it required the client to remove the last character or two of the actual SKU (like SM, MD, LG etc.) to make a SKU that was generic for all the variants.

The new structure for variants in BV is even better suited to this (with variants actually having their own entry in the products table as descreet products with their own SKUs) and so I would probably stick with a similar system. I would add in some columns that could contain the information for setting up the choices (like a VariantName, VariantLabel colum). The problem is variant grids (where there is more then one variable), which wasn't something my previous flat file system could handle. I'll see what I can come up with but in essence, if we had the XML layer then I'm sure people could solve the CSV (or other format) to XML part.
Jun 3, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Hi,

Marcus

We would definately be interested in this ability to create products/categories in a spreadsheet offline and then upload them when ready. Our customer is getting price updates almost weekly on 1,000's of products and have the ability to upload new prices for existing products by specifying the SKU would greatly help.

Thanks

mmcconnell1618 wrote:
Would anyone be interested in offline editing capabilities? I'm thinking about a file format for Products, Categories, etc. so that a user could create a set of new items while disconnected from the web and with a single click publish the updates to their BV Commerce store? Thoughts?